A common way to purchase an apartment in Israel is with a buyers group or “Kvutzat Rechisha”. When you join a buyers group, you are buying the land with a group of people, at a government land auction. The organizers of the buyers group will consist of the Project Manager, a Lawyer, an Architect, and the Realtor, Yigal Realty.
Stage 1: Before the buyers group is arranged, Yigal Realty will work with the Project Manager and Architect to create an attractive building plan. Once the floor plans are drawn and the costs are determined to be significantly cheaper than current market values, the realtor will start marketing the project to potential buyers.
Stage 2: Buyers & Investors who are interested in joining the group will sign a partnership agreement which states that you the buyer, along with the other members of the group are interested in purchasing the land from the government. The buyer pays 50,000 NIS as a non refundable down payment and the money goes into an escrow account. In the event that the group does not win the government auction, the 50,000 NIS is returned to the buyer.
Stage 3: Government Land Auction. The lawyer for the buyers group will submit the bid to Israel Lands Authority (ILA). Once the bid is submitted, it will take anywhere from two weeks to couple of months for the auction results to be published. As mentioned above, if the buyers group bid is too low and does not win the auction, the down payment gets returned.
Stage 4: Winning the Land Auction. Once the results are in, and the buyers group has won the bid, we will need to pay the Israel Lands Authority for the purchase of the land. We require the buyers to submit a total payment of 35% within four months of the auction results. (Within 14 days the total payment needs to be 10%, within two months the total payments will be 25% and within four months the toal payments will be 35%).
Stage 5: After the payment has been made to the ILA, the project manager starts the planning & permit process. This takes about one year, during which time he will work with the architect, general and sub contractors, government agencies, and banks.
Stage 6: Once the building permit is received, we will need the remaining 65% of the purchase price to be paid out as construction progresses (approximately two years). The group manager negotiates with the projects banker for a group mortgage. All members will need to be approved by the bank for this mortgage. Although a buyer has the option of not utilizing the bank mortgage, by having a mortgage in place, it protects the entire group from a buyer who cannot pay when money is needed for construction.
Additional costs that buyers are responsible for are: Lawyer Fee’s 1.5%, Realtor Fee’s 1.5%, and Mas Rechisha (Purchase Tax) Etc.